List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: HiColor Icons
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-10-21 21:59:14

* James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> [Oct 21. 2004 23:38]:
> Frans Englich wrote:
>
> >/Every/ application should install an application icon into hicolor, such
> >that its icon is available for all themes, crystalsvg or not. If there's
> >then a crystalsvg icon too, it should be in kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg, and
> >subsequently be installed in crystalsvg. I think this is easiest done by
> >hacking the build system such that "KDE_ICON = AUTO" outside
> >kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg install *app*.png icons into hicolor(instead of
> >currently crystalsvg).
>
> I would be preferable that apps installed an actual HiColor icon (in
> addition to installing a CrystalSVG icon), but yes since a HiColor icon is
> needed for FreeDesktop compliance (GNOME compatibility).
>
> In many cases there is still a HiColor icon somewhere.  For example: Kile
> which now has Crystal only, but the old icons still exist in older versions
> (or on my system).
>
> I don't mean to single out the Kile developers, but this is an example that
> I am aware of.  Version 1.6.2 has several problems with the icons.

In many cases their might be a good reason to revert for the new hicolor
icons...at least until something better is made.

> There is no HiColor icon for the application (only CrystalSVG).  This icon
> does exist in older versions.
>
> The private icons are not themed.  E.G. they are installed in:
>
> 	$KDEDIR/share/apps/kile/pics
>
> rather than:
>
> 	$KDEDIR/share/apps/kile/<theme>/<size>
>
> NOTE: there are some PNGs in "pics" that do belong in "pics".
>
> The private icons installed in "pics" are a mix of CrystalSVG and HiColor.
>
> At least one system HiColor icon (xfig.png) in included.
>
> ********
> There are no serious problems here; they can be easily fixed.
>
> ********
> Another issue that comes up with Kile and KGet: Is there currently a way
> for KDE to theme pics such as a splash screen and the Drop Target?
>
> ********
> Another thing which I notice is that now that I have added links to try to
> unify KDE and GNOME stuff that in: "/usr/share/icons/hicolor", I now have
> more sizes:
>
> 	16x16
> 	22x22
> 	24x24
> 	32x32
> 	36x36
> 	48x48
> 	64x64
> 	72x72
> 	96x96
> 	128x128
> 	192x192
>
> These additional sizes appear to be GNOME icons.  Perhaps this is not an
> Artist issue, but I wondered if KDE should be able to look at all of these
> directories for compatibility.  It currently doesn't make a lot of
> difference since most GNOME type applications only install a 48x48 icon
> (which is a KDE size also), but this might become an issue in the future.

If we had the SVG source for these icons we could include the Gnome
sizes...perhaps it would time to look for a good replacement for the
hicolor icons. THe flat icons with a bit of color added would be nice here, if
they were made nice enough....but maybe I am just dreaming, but I think
that the hicolor icons should be somehow based on the two color icons,
at least for recognition.

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany