List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Re: kde-artists Digest, Vol 19, Issue 24
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2004-10-21 20:09:44

* Revelinux <mail@revelinux.com> [Oct 21. 2004 21:03]:
> > So you suggest making a new theme, which we can use as "standard"?
> > Ruining the crystal theme by allowing anyone to include anything they
> > want is not the right answer but rather only makes the problem worse.
>
> Isn't this what is happening now?

Yes, this is what is happening now and it needs to stop.

> > > The problem, and the point that was missed, is that it is ONLY the
> > > default *named* icon theme.  The problem is that people have started
> > > treating it like it WAS named "default" and adding icons to it that are
> > > NOT Crystal style.
>
> We are having a consistency problem with Crystal. Just look at the new log out
> button we accepted. It really doesn't match the Crystal colors, but how would
> the artist fix this without specific a color palette. I *assumed* from past
> posts that we were having some difficulties because the original author did
> not like the changes we were making (such as adding Nuvola icons etc etc). If
> this is not the case then there would be no need for a separate default
> theme. But what we do need is more specific guidelines for the Crystal set
> and we need to weed out the ones that don't fit that criteria.

Hehe.And I checked in the new buttons :-( I agree that they were not
100% I was pretty busy at the time and thought that if things weren't
perfect that someone would jump in and change them :-)

Until now the biggest problem has been finding artists that are willing
to work together :-( Due to my work load at SUSE, not to mention other
open source projects, it would be 3000% impossible for me to do
everything. I worked directly with Torsten Rahn and Everaldo (I guess I
was somehow his manager for SUSE) and I can say this now...two artists
is not enough to completely satisfy the needs of KDE.
> > So we have identified the problem. I already offered officialy maintaining
> > the crystal set in KDE but heard no response. Until now I have tried to let
> > everyone contribute, but in order to fiy these problems it appears that we
> > need someone to do this.
>
> Sounds great!!
>
> I would be happy to help too (perhaps with the Crystal standards?).

Any constructive help is more than welcome. Let me (us) know what
you are good at and how you think that could help the most and I am sure
that we can work something out. It seems that the biggest thing tha we
need to do at this point is to define a crystal style guide and a
crystal icon how-to (which I have already started). The crystal style guide
might be a good place for colors and definite rules concerning paths,
gradients, highlights, etc.

Bye,
Kenneth

--
SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany