List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: zoom border
From:       tackat () t-online ! de (Torsten Rahn)
Date:       2004-01-31 14:19:31

On Saturday 31 January 2004 14:23, Ante Wessels wrote:
> This page has always been at the kde-artist icon guide, but not in the menu. I
> always overlooked it...
>
> http://artist.kde.org/zoom.html

Eeew, I already wondered where this one had moved :)
Actually it dates back from the year 2000 IIRC when we thought about _rendering_ the \
icons for large versions altogether (Using blender e.g.) :)
> A quote:
>
> "
> As the 128x128-versions are "closer" to the user you may also add some details
> that don't change the look of the icon completely. Also you may use a
> *little* bit more realistic colors. But the overall-experience should stay
> the same! These "zoom-icons" have to scale extremly well. So you have to use
> parallel perspective and the icon has to match the shape of the existing icon
> as exact as possible! Furthermore these icons lack any black outline/border
> (These would look blurry if scaled). Instead we will add
> alpha-channeled-shadows. Please do not add this "outline-shadow" yourself! We
> will do it once all icons are done using a script.
> "
>
> Well here is the reason the outline was dropped. But what happened to the
> "alpha-channeled-shadows"?

Not really. :) The attempt to go for large scaled icons back in that time was barely \
related to the SVG approach that we went for when Crystal appeared. I'd consider the \
removal of the black lines a design decision when Everaldo created the first Crystal \
icons.

Regards,
Torsten Rahn