List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST: I don't like this SVG idea...
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-01-21 23:11:43

There's been some discussion on SVG recently, and what I've seen are
lower-quality icons entering some applications as a result of generating PNGs
from SVG, so I thought I'd offer my opinion.

Vector graphics are *not* suitable for such a diverse size range (16x16 to
128x128, IMHO; because too fine of detail will result in a horrible 16x16
image, with too high of contrast and no solid borders and everthing blurring
together; and too little detail will result in an ugly undetailed 128x128
icon.

The most I would ever like to see is some SVG theme that is *NOT* the default
in KDE, because frankly, crystalSVG is ugly and inadequate for small icons,
and I don't want to have to have big icons to have a usable desktop.

However, judging by the fact that all I see in kcontrol --> Appearance -->
Icons is the Crystal SVG beta1 theme, it's apparently forced as the default
and I don't even have any option to change it without going and hunting down
whatever packages might have the usable icons in them.

I think this is a bad decision :-\.

Furthermore I don't see why KDE should have native SVG support at all.
Rendering would be very slow, and a theme author, should he want to use SVG,
still can, using the svg2png or whatever script (and then hopefully fix the
ugly icons before calling the theme done).

Vertu sæll,

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
http://rivyn.livejournal.com