List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: Re: Icon dispute and resolve
From:       "luciash d' being" <luci () ground ! cz>
Date:       2004-01-16 8:59:53

On Friday 16 January 2004 00:27, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Ralf Nolden wrote:
> If these things are being discussed I think we should not ask for the LGPL,
> which has been stated time and again without any contradiction is totally
> unsuited for artwork.

could you explain a bit more why?

> The KDE Artists seem to recommend amending the LGPL
> (http://artist.kde.org/new/license.html) but I find that approach
> unsatisfactory for many reasons, including that the LGPL states that it
> cannot be amended.  Why not use the Free Art License
> (http://artlibre.org/licence.php/lalgb.html) or something more suitable?  I
> know we are stuck with what we have from the past but if Everaldo is
> willing to negotiate a license why not use one that makes the most sense
> for everyone involved?

i do see some problematic parts in the FAL as well:

---8><---
3. Incorporation of Artwork

All the elements of this work of art must remain free, which is why you are
not allowed to integrate the originals (originals and subsequents) into
another work which would not be subject to this license.
---><8---

and

---8><---
8. The Law Applicable to this Contract

This license is subject to French law.
---><8---

> (I would also note that it is far from clear to me that "KDE Artists" can
> hold a copyright.  The US Code, for example, states, "Copyright in a work
> protected under this title vests initially in the author or authors of the
> work."  If you want to assign this copyright to "KDE Artists" it must be
> done in writing, it can be only of specified limited duration, and some
> other formalities followed, and as I doubt that has happened I do not see
> the purpose in using "KDE Artists" as a copyright, either in fact or as a
> recommendation on the website.)

this is maybe true (to me it's also strange because there's no real
organization named "KDE Artists" afaik), but i'm no lawyer...

greetings,
luci
--

luci(ash [graun]d' being) :.:::.::. ::.:::  :: :: :  :.:.::