List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Everaldo keeping kde in lock -- was: K-ARTIST: Icons,
From:       Ante Wessels <vitanova2 () softhome ! net>
Date:       2004-01-15 18:49:54

On Jueves 15 Enero 2004 19:09, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Ante Wessels writes:
> > As long as the file did not leave Everaldo's pc, it is not
> > distributed, it is not labeled with a license. So, there is no lgpl
> > in action.
>
> Ah, so that's what you misunderstood.

No, we have been talking about the svg sources all this time. You
misunderstood.

>The LGPL is indeed not in
> action on the source files, but it is on the icons in .png format.
> Those are distributed under the LGPL, IIUC.

Yes, I wrote the license notice.

>The license for those
> .png icons then states that the sources for them need to be made
> available (i.e. the format that is preferred for editing them, in this
> case .svg or .ai or whatever.).

If you distribute the png, then that is the source, legally.

> > Your approach is counterproductive. Everaldo used to be on this
> > list. It is clear he wants his work to be open sourced. So, if he
> > does not provide sources, it probably is because he already sent
> > them to suse, the ones he had. What Torsten wrote is probably the
> > real story: illustrator sources that couldn't be saved as svgs...
> >
> > So, let's not use lawer's talk, but write a friendly letter to
> > Everaldo asking for the .ai files.
>
> FWIW, I didn't make the statement to threaten anybody, I just wanted
> to point out the seriousness of the problem.  Anyway, I won't continue
> this discussion further.

Thank god!

--

Cordialemente,

Ante

******
The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki:

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists

Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, change
filename, file conversion:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html

Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita