List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Everaldo keeping kde in lock -- was: K-ARTIST: Icons, scripts
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-15 12:09:39

Some comments on this thread that I'll just put here rather than trying to associate them
with a relevant posting.

Sodipodi does have problems with AI produced SVG files.  And, unfortunately, Sodipodi also
produces incorrect SVG files.

I currently check files for correctness with Squiggle, which comes with Batik from Apache.
  I would normally use Amaya for this, but there appear to be issues in its handling of
gradients.

OT: Has anybody managed to compile the source code for this with the GCC (Java) compiler?

I have asked the people that posted the KOffice icons if they know where the SVG source is.

I find that Everaldo's release on his site has a MIME type icon for Karbon14 which looks
about like the one I made.  Note that I have no objection if he makes icons to replace
mine.  However, I also note that the name of this icon file is: "karbon.png" which is
exactly the same as the application icon's name.  This won't work.  The new name for the
KOffice MIME type icons have been committed to CVS so if someone is in contact with him,
they need to advise him of this.

In regard to the AI issues.  I have found that Karbon will manage to open (some) SVG files
with AI stuff in them.  The current 1.3 release takes forever, but it does work.  They can
then be saved and the AI stuff appears to be fixed.  This also fixes Sodipodi errors but
sometimes the files do not appear the same and need to be fixed in Sodipodi.

Specifically in regard to the file: "crsc-mime-mime_empty.svgz".  If you open this file in
an editor, you will see that it has two very complex gradient definitions [XMLID_1_ &
XMLID_6_].  It appears to me that there is no need for such complex gradients icons.  I
think that it is probable that the problem with AI files is that they are too complex --
nothing specific to their being made with AI.

Then there is an interesting problem with Karbon14.  I open a SVG file and save it as SVG
-- the size of the file as opened in Sodipodi changes for no apparent reason.

--
JRT