List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:Modifying the default icon schemes
From:       "Antiphon ." <antiphon39 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-02-01 17:47:53

I thought of the following idea which would create the
idea of icon color schemes. As some of you may
remember, I am maintaining a green version of Crystal.
I should not have to be doing this, however, because
now that we are going to move to SVG, why not make it
so that the user has the ability to choose what the
basic icon colors will be. That is, an option in
KControl to choose the primary color (in my case,
emerald green), dark color, and light color. Maybe the
intermediate shades could be determined in a fashion
similar to the method used to calculate window
titlebar gradients.

I'm not a programmer but if we could do this, it would
be something that AFAIK has never been done.

Sure some people would make their desktops look like
crap but imagine the possibilities: organizations
could make all of their systems use the same style and
icon colors (great for the corporate desktop or Net
cafe), users would get more control (great for the
blind or color-blind), and KDE would further
distinguish itself as the Number 1 operating
environment. It would also make themes more meaningful
and convenient if the icon tints could be loaded along
with them.

The idea would be somewhat along the lines of what we
already have, just make it so that certain hues will
always be drawn the options the user has specified.
But if we were to extend the existing paradigm of
blanket colorizing of PNG images to partial colorizing
of SVG, it'd be something never before done.

Is this feasible?