List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:design of KDE artist web site v2
From:       "luciash d' being" <luci () ground ! cz>
Date:       2002-08-15 19:55:59

hello,
thanks for the critics to all...

ok, back to the history again - what do you think about this? (see attached file)

Daniel Cassidy wrote:
> NOTE:
> i've attached a quick mock-up since it's much easier to know what i'm talking
> about if you can see it ;)
>
> maybe it's just me, but it's very hard on my eyes...
>
> problems in both versions:
>
> the black-white gradient on the top bar especially obscures the text slightly,
> and looks silly against the black background of 'kde-artist' - it would be
> easier to read, and imo look better if you removed the black altogether and
> had white text on orange background.
>
> it would also look nicer imo if you took the streaks out of the 'kde-artist'
> logo and just had white text on black or orange, as it is it looks as if i'm
> viewing the image with a broken monitor. the same goes for the streaks
> beneath the main text if they're intentional, it makes it very hard to read
> the text - plain white would be better.
>
> the image on the left hand side makes it all feel quite crowded, i'm afraid to
> say i think you should take it out altogether.
>
> the grey-orange gradient immediately below distracts attention from the more
> important areas, namely the content. i'd keep the grey but stop it about
> halfway up with no gradient.
>
> problems only in the first version:
>
> i'm not quite sure why some of the orange colour is paler than the rest; this
> looks much nicer in the second version.
>
> the translucent K confuses the eye, it looks better in the version where it is
> fully opaque.
>

> sorry for being so critical, i hope i've at least been a little constructive
> too ;)

i don't understand why there was almost no response to the previous designs
(which this in fact is and it even works in almost all browsers well!)
and it seems to me a bit funny that every time when i ask for critics for the
new artist.kde.org design (ok, it was just 2-3 times) the flame war about
licensing begins instead :o)

hope to hear some critics to this shot too (see the kde-artists@kde.org archive
for more...)

luci
--

luciash [graun]d' being :.:::.::. ::.:::  :: ::    :  :.:.::

["shot_konqueror_800x600_indexed.png" (image/png)]