List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:design of KDE artist web site v2
From:       Daniel Cassidy <mail () lezek ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-08-15 18:56:55

NOTE:
i've attached a quick mock-up since it's much easier to know what i'm talking
about if you can see it ;)

On Wednesday 14 Aug 2002 4:45 pm, luciash d' being wrote:
> hello,
> i would like to launch new version of the artist.kde.org website soon (in
> two weeks at least) but i need to know your opinion about the design of the
> site. please send your opinion.
> i made a remix of previously posted designs by me and matthias. what do you
> think about this version?

maybe it's just me, but it's very hard on my eyes...

problems in both versions:

the black-white gradient on the top bar especially obscures the text slightly,
and looks silly against the black background of 'kde-artist' - it would be
easier to read, and imo look better if you removed the black altogether and
had white text on orange background.

it would also look nicer imo if you took the streaks out of the 'kde-artist'
logo and just had white text on black or orange, as it is it looks as if i'm
viewing the image with a broken monitor. the same goes for the streaks
beneath the main text if they're intentional, it makes it very hard to read
the text - plain white would be better.

the image on the left hand side makes it all feel quite crowded, i'm afraid to
say i think you should take it out altogether.

the grey-orange gradient immediately below distracts attention from the more
important areas, namely the content. i'd keep the grey but stop it about
halfway up with no gradient.

problems only in the first version:

i'm not quite sure why some of the orange colour is paler than the rest; this
looks much nicer in the second version.

the translucent K confuses the eye, it looks better in the version where it is
fully opaque.

sorry for being so critical, i hope i've at least been a little constructive
too ;)

> ps: sorry if i will reply sporadically. because of the terrible floods in
> czech republic my wireless internet connection is broken now and the modem
> lines are overflowed :(

ouch! :(
["artist-dan.png" (image/png)]