List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:kdelook????
From:       Gastner () t-online ! de (Joerg Gastner)
Date:       2002-06-24 21:41:14

Am Montag, 24. Juni 2002 09:29 schrieb antialias:

> Voting on kde-look is manipulated, didn't you know that?

Hi list,

well, I guess everyone who uploaded there has experienced some form or other
of manipulation.  The worst form being a fresh upload which gets voted down
so quickly beneath the magic 30% border that few people actually see the
upload.  Which is sad, since some people are being discouraged to upload any
other content.  :(

There obviously are people who have taken the trouble to write scripts (for x
= 100; connect; vote bad; disconnect; next; (or something like that)) because
some content has completely vanished.  Everaldos mail seems to target an
example of this "mass-voting".

> Unfotunatelly, the
> maintainers of kde-look. org know that, and they don't do anything to
> prevent it.

What would be the alternative?  Require to login before voting?  Who would
take the trouble to login?  I can't think of any easy solution to this
problem.

> Every time you connect to internet  if you have dynamic IP (which most of
> the users have) you will be allowed to vote again.

Yes, right.  But I'm more worried about the people with an industrial attitude
(the people with scripts).  Because they can make content disappear in
moments after the uploads.  Content which is lost to the community.  Because
once your score drops below 20%, all you can do is delete it.  Nobody is able
to see it, nobody can comment, new contributors are discouraged, pissed off,
stopped dead in their tracks.  Which constitues a loss to the community.

The only way out of this (imho) is to let people see the content > 0%.  At the
moment it is limited to scores > 20%.  I myself have deleted content that
dropped below 20%.  I felt frustrated because some weirdo had ditched me 1
hour after I uploaded.

Everyone is welcome to check the IDs of the uploads (e.g.
...php?content=XXXX&PHP... (XXXX being the ID)) and find the gaps.  Of course
there are gaps which are due to updates (content keeps its original ID after
updates) but it is still a significant loss that is displayed.  I feel sad
for all the people who have uploaded content and have been discarded this
way.  And what is more:  This is a form of censorship.  And to get real
paranoid:  What if a major company payed somebody to vote bad on good
content?  I feel bad about the 20% border...

> But, what pisses me off on that site is not only that some people
> manipulate with votes but also that some 'artist' 'update' their 'artwork'
> only to be present on the opening site of kde-look.org (and they haven't
> updated their 'artwork' at all). So every time users open kde-look.org they
> can see an icon theme although that theme hasn't been updated at all.

You are right about that one.  That pisses me off too.  "Virtual Updates" or
whatever you may call it.  The best answer to that would be bad comments
about this behaviour...

Cheers,

Soyburg