List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Ksvg & sodipodi & svg icons
From:       Rob Buis <buis () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-03 5:45:07

Hi,

>Ksvg is in pretty good shape now, so I recommend all kde artists who are
>interested in creating svg icons compile Ksvg. It can nicely and very,very
>fast preview svg images in Konqueror.

Well I am not sure about the speed, what cpu do you have there ? :)
It should perform okay for svg icons I guess, it is still too slow for big
svgs.

Keep in mind when compiling ksvg that it depends on libart 2.3.8 which is not
in kdesupport yet. So you have to get a libart package or compile it yourself.

>Sodipodi is also a nice graphic tool (created by our Gnome friends) and it
>saves svg images nicely so ksvg can read them properly. When you create svg
>images don't use Export meny entry (ksvg will not read it and Konqi will
>crash. Just use Save as ( name_for_image.svg). There are some quirks in
>Sodipodi (I hope it will be fixed in next releases) - it can't save drawing
>properly, it saves the whole page, so when you create svg icon take care
>about size of the page (document), fill it with your drawing and save it.

Nice to hear it cooperates well with sodipodi.

>Are there any plans to add svg icons support to KDE 3.1?

Yes, that is planned and well underway AFAIK.

>I am sending two screenshots of Sodipodi & Konqi in action ;-)

I only saw one screenshot, sure did look nice though.

Cheers,

Rob.