List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:black and white theme
From:       ante <vitanova () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-01-29 12:49:20

Hello everybody!

I uploaded a black and white theme to kde-look.org. The icons can be used by
LCD/Monochrome-displays and by visually impaired people.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=777

I made the icons quite some time ago, as a first sketch of an official black
and white icon theme for KDE. As I was the only one working on it, and was
drawn to other things, presently the set is unmaintained :-(

With the possibility to choose icon themes now in KDE, I made a theme out of
the icons, so they can easily be used. Take a look!

The set is unmaintained: you may rise to the occassion! Actually, making bw icons is \
interesting. You only have 2 colors, so you have to  make VERY simple designs...

The read-me has info on the design principles.

Cordialemente,

Ante

["snap-small-bw.png" (image/png)]
["AAA-readme-bw" (text/plain)]

Welcome to the KDE Black & White icons. These icons can be used by
LCD/Monochrome-displays and by visually impaired people.

This set is far from complete, the 32 x 32 are useable, they replace the most used icons.

see: http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux

How to install an Icon Theme?
Open the KDE-Menu an start the Control Center
Click on "Look and Feel" and "Icons"
Browse to the location of the new icon theme by clicking the small folder button
Click on "Install New Theme" to add the new icons
Click "Apply"
Have fun! :-)

Manually:
Copy the tgz to ./kde/share/icons
open it with:
tar -xvzf bw-icons2002.tgz
Now the icon theme will show up in the control center.

This icon theme can also be downloaded via
http://www.kde-look.org

The icons are mostly 2D. They are designed for use on a white background. The
black outline uses most space. After that I added some white to set them apart on a black background
as well, and/or to make the hit area bigger. I did not use grey areas, a color
swap will not be visible then. I kept them mostly white. This leaves the
possibility to indicate the active state with a color swap.

The unknown, txt and folder icons are templates which are used for many more
icons, there were kept as simple as possible. The
simplicity of the unknown and txt icons leaves much space, needed in B & W
design.

In the KDE color icons set the tar and tgz files have two triangles to indicate the
balled together/compressed state. In this line I gave the compressed files two
triangles, the packages four triangles. I kept in line with giving the Deb and
RPM compressed file icons a character.

The source icons, like in the color version, all have a character. I used a 28
size Clean font.
Large: size 34

In some other cases I used the Clean font as well, size 16, which gives a
better result than size 18.

Scaling goes very well after indexing.
(Gimp: image - indexed - black/white palette)

If possible I took 2D elements from the KDE color set, like the monitors. Some
of the icons were ported from the Kiddo icon set to black & white.

The tarball includes helpfiles. These files contain
re-useable elements from the icons, handy for designers.

Ante Wessels
vitanova@softhome.net