List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Cooperation (was: IKons, Slick, crystal, Anti-Icons, ...)
From:       Sebastien Biot <sebastien.biot () verizon ! net>
Date:       2002-01-22 0:02:04

On Monday 21 January 2002 03:30, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Painting nice smileys all over their body or removing them from the world
> won't help.

You're right to point out that the priority in (re)designing the
accessibility icon should be to make KDE's accessibility settings clearly
visible. You are also right to state that the "International Symbol of
Access" is the accepted standard for this. But beyond the aesthetics of the
icon itself --which is rather subjective--- what I found interesting about
the article's proposal (joeclark.org/symbolizing.html) is its authors' desire
to find a symbol which would actually emphasize the possibilities of
universal access rather than depict an arbitrary physical handicap. By
suggesting to a use a smiley ---which is just that anyway, a suggestion--- I
don't think that antialias was trying to obscure because of some prudish
feeling of commiseration the existence of KDE users with disabilities.. I
know I wasn't.

Now,  whether anybody actually wants to or even needs to change that icon is
another question and by posting this link I wasn't trying to suggest anything
either way.

Seb
--
Sebastien Biot <seb.biot@iname.com>