List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Cooperation (was: IKons, Slick, crystal, Anti-Icons, ...)
From:       antialias <vukman () b2mail ! dk>
Date:       2002-01-19 17:08:55

Torsten Rahn wrote:

>  There are some areas where "hicolor" needs a lot of help
>badly: Many of the Application-icons haven't improved for months/years.

Lets duscuss here which application icons have to be changed and which
ones we keep?
Here are my suggestions:

1. access > we have to change it and come up with better idea
2. agent > Sherlock Holm's hat is symbol for an agent in western world,
but I don't know if this symbol means something in for example China,
maybe we should create more universal symbol, but we can keep this one
3. ark > keep it (add maybe one arrow more because ark's funktion is
both pack & unpack)
4. bell > keep it
5. blender > keep it (I improved it already, removed too dark edges)
6. clock > change it (create more modern look)
7. colors > keep it (maybe instead of folders create simple rectangles)
8. cookie > change it (cookies are evil, not something to celebrate)
9. date > change it (more modern look)
10. designer > keep it
11. emacs > keep it (nothing to do here, maybe add some colors)
12. email > keep it
13. energy > I am not sure here (edges are too dark, color reminds me on
new winXP look)
14. energy_star > change it (I know it is universal symbol, but we can
maybe just take some elements from it), it is too dark
15. enchanced_browsing > keep it (I don't like colors, but that's my
problem)
16. filetypes > I don't understand this icon
17. fonts > keep it (maybe think about internationalization and mix some
non western fonts)
18. gimp > keep it (Gnome has some nice variations of gnome icon which
we can add too)
19. go > hm, many discussions here, I don't like K, I suggest that we
remove K, and change wheel to the smae one we have for konqueror and
kdevelop
20. gvim > keep, nothing to do here
21. help_index > keep it
22. hwinfo > change winXP 'i'
23. icons > keep it, but remove 'poststamp' edges
24. iconthemes > keep it, but remove 'poststamp' edges
25. input_devices_settings > keep it (maybe improve colors)
26. kab > change it as soon as poosible (too dark, and too boring)
27. kappfinder > keep it, but it is appfinder not files finder so I
think it would be more appropriate to replace papers with our exec icon
28. karm > what is karm? pardon my ignorance :) icon is good for korganizer
29. kate > new icon, it can be a variant of existing icon which is
actually kwrite icon
30. kbabel > keep it (a little improvement)
31. kcalc > change it (we need just a calculator, not paper etc.), we
have already much better calculator in kspread-mime icon, just take it
from there
32. kcharselect > keep it (maybe add a colored cursor which points to
the key), or change it to a keyboard where some keys are
selected or marked
33. kchart > I don't like when we have a piece of paper in application
icons (especially paper from KDE 1) - that should be reserved for mime
icons, KOffice icons should be much more consistent than they are now,
change it
34. kcmdevices > keep it
35. kcmdrkonqi > keep it
36. kcmkwm > keep it
37. kcmmemory > keep it
38. kcmmidi > keep it
39. kcmpartitions > keep
40. kcmpci > keep
41. kcmproseccor > keep
42. kcmscsi > keep
43. kcmsystem > keep
44. kedit > keep it (maybe improve)
45. keybindings > keep it (but add something which represents bindings )
or change to keyboard with something which represents keybindings
46. keyboard > keep it or change it to keyboard
47. kfax > keep it (it is maybe too dark) or create a new one with a
more modern look
48. kfind > keep it
49. kfloppy > why is a hammer & screwdriver there?, we have better
floppy icons in devices section. Anyway, what does kfloppy do?
50. kfm > keep
51. kfm_home > keep
52. kfontinst > change it
53. kfract > keep
53. kghostview > keep
54. khelpcenter > keep
55. khexedit > change
56. kiconedit > keep
57. kit > keep (add a little bevel, it is too plain right now)
58. kivio > hm, I like basic design very much, it represents K V O
letters from KiViO, and these letters are also shown as stencils,
but it is too colorful IMHO
59. kjots > change it
60. klipper > keep it
61. kljettool > keep
62. klpq > keep
63. kmail > keep
64. kmailcvt > change it, I dont know what kmailcvt is, but if it has
something to do with kmail combine it with kmail icon
65. kmenuedit > keep (maybe improve)
66. kmid > improve it
67. kmidi > improve it
68. kmix > keep it
69. knewsticker > change it, we need a new one
70. knode > keep it
71. knotes > keep
72. knotify > I don't know
73. konqueror > keep
74. konsole > the one in mimeicons is better then konsole from
applications; the one from applications (remove shell or improve shell)
75. Kontour > it looks more like KDE1xx icon, so change it
76. korganizer > keep
77. korn > keep
78. koshell > new one
79. kpackage > keep
80. kpager > change it (now it has the same icon as kwin)
81. kpaint > keep
82. kpm > more modern monitor
83. kpresenter > keep (the best koffice icon)
84. krayon > keep it (change background paper to be more consistent with
kpresenter - shapes)
85. kruler > keep
86. kscd > keep
87. kscreensaver > keep
88. ksirc > I don't understand the meaning of this icon, ksirc is an IRC
client, and 'i' is a symbol for info (in western world), I think it
should be changed
89. ksnapshot > keep
90. kspread > keep it (change background paper to be more consistent
with kpresenter - shapes, and improve too dark edges)
91. ksysguard > keep
92. ksysv > keep
93. ktalkd > keep (improve)
94. kthememgr > keep
95. ktip > keep
96. kugar > keep
97. kuser > keep
98. kview > keep
99. kvirc > keep (maybe bevel a little bit, it's too plain)
100. kwin > keep
101. kword > keep (change background paper to be more consistent with
kpresenter - shapes, paper is like one from KDE1)
102. kwrite > keep
103. laptop_battery > keep
104. laptop_pcmcia > keep (improve colors)
105. licq > improve
106. locale > keep
107. looknfeel > I have no idea
108. mouse > keep
109. multimedia > very nice work, but multimedia is more than sound
110. netscape > nothing to do here, netscape comes with its own icons,
so we can maybe use original ones
112. noatun > keep
113. package > either keep (and make other package_xxx icons consistent)
or replace with a new one (package apps-icons represent submenus
therefore I would like them to be consistent)
114. package_applications > why compact disk here?
115. package_editors > no idea
116. package_favourite > I like this old one very much and I am sad KDE
replaced other package_xxx icons with the new ones
117. package_games > I like it
118. package_games_arcade > too many small elements (unreadable)
119. package_games_board > good, but too much light in upper left corner
120. package_games_card > nice and clean
121. package_games_strategy > I can't see it represents games
122. package_graphics > need to be totally redesigned
123. package_multimedia > ok
124. package_network > remove W3 sign
125. package_settings > too boring as 48x48 and 64x64 icon but good as
16x16 icon
126. package_system > nice work, very clean and sharp
127. package_toys > a little bit dark, not good as 16x16 icon, maybe
change to just head and butterfly from original teddybear
128. package_utilities > ok
129. package wordprocesing > very nice
130. password > ok
131. personal > winXP? add eyes, nose & mouth
132. pixie > nice
133. proxy > I have no idea
134. remote > keep
135. samba > ok
136. style > ok (improve it)
137. stylesheet > change it if possible
138. terminal > keep
139. usb > change (too plain, there is no bevel at all)
140. window_list > keep
141. winprops > I have no idea what winprops are
142. xedit > keep (without paper if possible)
143. xemacs > the same as for emacs
144. xmag > keep
145. xv > change if possible

So, it doesn't look so bad. All in all we have to change aproximately 40
icons out of 145 application icons. The rest can be improved with a
little affort.

Regards,

antialias