List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:Cooperation (was: IKons, Slick, crystal, Anti-Icons, ...)
From:       Torsten Rahn <tackat () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-01-19 2:34:37

Recently a lot of iconthemes appeared on kde-look.org which can be used as
alternatives to the default-theme "hicolor": IKons, Slick, Anti-Icons, etc.

While there is already quite some "cross-pollution" going on between these
iconthemes (in terms of ideas and pixmaps) I think that this
"cross-pollution" could even improve more.

One way to improve it might be that people would work together in KDE-CVS.
This would mean that people would put their psd/xcf-files there and / or
their complete iconthemes.

I just offered Rob Cosgrove (aka "Amibug") to continue maintainance of his
"Slick"-icontheme in CVS today. I hope that other people will follow :-)

People who start to maintain their icon-themes in CVS would probably soon
start to work on other KDE artwork as well -- especially on the
default-icontheme. There are some areas where "hicolor" needs a lot of help
badly: Many of the Application-icons haven't improved for months/years.
One of the reasons is that personally I like mimetype/filetype-icons best.
Therefore I spend most of my time on those. On the other hand there are other
artists (like Kristof e.g.) who like Device/Application-icons a lot. I hope
that some artists who will start to work in CVS will also start to feel
responsible for this rather orphaned artwork in KDE.

Of course there are some issues that we need to decide: The most difficult
thing will be to establish a consistent style. Of course the whole KDE
artwork should always look as if it was done by one great artist (just like
it's the case with Walt Disney movies "Weren't they entirely being created by
Walt Disney himself ;-) ?").
Therefore one has got to decide for one single style. This style should look
_neutral_ enough to go with any theme/style/colorscheme (Everaldos
crystal-icons are too blue e.g. - they wouldn't go well with quite some
colorschemes).
Also we would have to make sure that it would still look well and a bit
consistent together with the current icon-style. People should still be able
to recognize this artwork as KDE-related.

Another thing that pops up frequently is that photographic vs. cartoonish -
style discussion.
Mac OS X icons e.g. are very much photographic while KDE/Windows-icons are
rather cartoonish/symbolic. While "photographic" looks certainly more cool it
is not as good as "cartoonish/symbolic" usability-wise.
In my wildest dreams ;-) we would have two iconthemes in kdelibs: One rather
photographic and one  rather symbolic icontheme. And people could choose
whatever they like best.
As long as we stay with only one icontheme in kdelibs the icons should of
course stay very good in therms of usability. Therefore a good compromise
between symbolic and photographic is the right way to go.
I think that mimetype-icons are quite good as they are right now while the
application-icons could look quite a bit more photorealistic for several
reasons.

Greetings,
Tackat