List:       kde-announce
Subject:    PerlQt-1.05 released
From:       Ashley Winters <jql () accessone ! com>
Date:       1997-06-03 2:57:21

I have been neglecting my release-notices (shame on me)...

PerlQt-1.05 has many improvements over the previous versions of PerlQt.
And PerlQt has undergone massive changes since my last release-notice.

So, what does PerlQt have?

* Every prototype of every function (public and protected) in every
(reasonable) class in Qt has been interfaced (over 50 classes, all the
widgets). Well, at least 98% of the functions. I'm not perfect.

* Object oriented. Of course it is!

* Error checking. PerlQt not only checks object types, it checks for
unexpected undefined argument passing, signal/slot prototypes, etc...

* Overloaded operators. You can add QRects.

* Destructors. Objects are destroyed when the go out of Perl scope.
You can also bypass this feature.

* Signals/slots. PerlQt *does* have signals and slots interfaced. Without
a moc, without SIGNAL() and SLOT(), without Q_OBJECT, and very elegantly.
Version 1.05 allows many types of arguments to be passed in signals and
slots. Including objects, floats (on platforms where sizeof(float) ==
sizeof(long)), ints, strings (aliased char *'s), and Perl scalar
variables. You can also pass as many as 2 arguments. In version 1.06, you
should be able to pass 3 arguments, including more types.

* Virtual functions. You may arbitratily override *any* Qt C++ virtual
function with a Perl function by just creating it.

* New widget creation. With virtual functions, signals/slots, and Perl's
inheritance, it's simple.

* Constants. I've interfaced most of em.

* Tutorials and Examples. Every Qt tutorial has been completly ported to
PerlQt for a long time. They illustrate the directness of the
code-conversion, and the 'correct' programming style for PerlQt. Most of
the examples also work. No tetris though, yet.

* pqtsh. Run-time PerlQt code evaluation through a QLineEdit. See this...

$x = new QPushButton
show $x
resize $x 100, 20
$x->setText("Hello World")              # Both styles are legal
resize $x 250, 40
setFont $x new QFont('Courier', 30, $Weight{Bold})
setCaption $x "Hello PerlQt user"
setCaption $self "PerlQt Shell"
exit

Yes, that will work *at run-time*. Try that in C++! :)

* Tech support. From me. You talk to me on irc on Undernet's #qt most of
the day. You can also e-mail me directly through jql@accessone.com.

* So much more....

If I've convinced you, here are your requirements...

  PerlQt 1.05 requires Perl-5.004 and Qt-1.2. It should compile on most
POSIX-compatible Unix platforms, and probably on all Linux systems. It is
important that your version of Perl-5.004 is *NOT* binary-compatible with
Perl-5.003.

PerlQt is available for free, and may be downloaded from any CPAN mirror
in the authors/Ashley_Winters/ directory as the file PerlQt-1.05.tar.gz.

Going to http://www.perl.org/CPAN/ will forward you to a CPAN mirror
which is close to you.

Ashley (Memory-leak-killer) Winters