List:       kde-accessibility
Subject:    Re: [Kde-accessibility] System Bell
From:       Peter Grasch <peter () grasch ! net>
Date:       2015-01-05 14:56:05

Hey,

> Being primarily a GNOME/MATE screen reader user, I may be way off base here, but \
> there are some cases where I still hear a system bell, which is generally replaced \
> by a sound when using Pulseaudio.
The very fact that the actual system bell is "generally replaced" means we're talking \
about something better suited for a "normal" notification. The examples you mentioned \
are good indicators: There is no upside (that I can see) for these being system bell \
events instead of notifications. However, there is the big downside of having to \
maintain a completely different means of notification delivery.

> I can see where a visual system bell replacement would be important to deaf users \
> in the same way, although they are probably better able to see cursors and such. \
> Still, there are some bell alerts that may not be immediately apparent without some \
> sort of visual feedback.
If the events that are now system bell events would become notifications, then they \
can easily have visual component as well. Actually the very fact of moving them to \
the notification system means that they can then be configured through the usual \
notification settings.

All in all: Big +1 on Frederik's proposal.

Best regards,
Peter