List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] baffled about Installing kde2.2?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2001-08-20 2:58:11

jc wrote:

> Thanks, but this is still incomplete for me. For example, I downloaded and
> tried to rpm -U the arts file. But that complained about dependencies.

Which were??

> There
> was a choice of 5 different qt files, the "normal" one complained about
> dependencies. So I tried the static one. It wanted the devel one. What a
> mess! This is not way to put Windows out of existence!
>
> Perhaps someone could write an upgrade script that would actually upgrade
> redhat 7.1 to kde 2.2 all by itself?

I don't know if that would be possible.  It would still fail if you were
missing something.

> Meanwhile, perhaps someone could just tell me EXACTLY what to do.

Unfortunately, it depends on what you have installed on your system.

But the Qt question should be simple.

You need:

qt-2.3.1-3.i386.rpm

Which is a Raw Hide package.  It is on:

http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/qt-2.3.1-3.i386.html

or

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS

There shouldn't be any dependencies except for other Qt packages such
as: "qt-devel".  If you are not using the other: Qt packages, just
uninstall them.

If you get dependencies, try installing it instead of Upgrading.  If you
(then) get conflicts, use "--replacefiles".

The Raw Hide aRts is:

arts-2.2-5.i386.rpm

Which is available at the Raw Hide FTP site or from rpmfind.net.

The same thing applies to the: "arts-devel" package.  If you have it
installed and are not using it, uninstall it.  Otherwise, RPM will
complain that you need to Upgrade the "devel" package too.

Again, if you get other dependencies, install rather than Upgrade:

	rpm  -ivh  arts-2.2-5.i386.rpm

This should do it.

Then you need to Upgrade the KDE stuff.  You need to do this all
together.

	rpm -Uvh  kde*-2.2-*.i386.rpm

I hope that the above is a legal 'glob'.

Unfortunately, the posted RPMs have not worked well for some people.

You will probably get a list of dependencies.

Andrew suggests that you ignore them, just add the option "--nodeps".

That will probably work.  But, if you choose to install the new
packages, be sure to install them "-i" not upgrade them "-U" unless you
want to upgrade your whole system to Raw Hide (not recommended).

JRT