List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] baffled about Installing kde2.2?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2001-08-19 23:54:46

John Coonrod wrote:

> I'm dazzled by the hundred-odd rpms I see before me when I go to upgrade kde
> to 2.2 on my redhat 7.1 computer. Surely I'm not supposed to install all these
> files? I don't want to do development, I just want to run the stuff. What of
> all this do I download? Does it matter what order I install them?

Basically, you need:

kdelibs
kdebase
kdeadmin
kdenetwork
kdemultimedia
kdeutils
kdegraphics
kdegames
kdetoys

(the last two are optional)

The Red Hat RPMs split some of these into two or more packages.

E.G. "kdelibs" & "kdelibs-sound"  Install both.

If you are upgrading from KDE 2.x, you can Upgrade these all together.

Otherwise, the first two need to be installed first and second.

You should also have Qt-2.3.1 and the current KDE version of aRts.

JRT