List:       kde
Subject:    KDE 2.1 breaks startx
From:       "Ross Smith" <ross () uprizer ! com>
Date:       2001-02-28 20:24:26

I recently installed Debian potato and apt-getted helix-gnome.

Everything was working fine.

Since I heard about KDE 2.1, and I prefer to use KDE, I did:

apt-get install kdebase task-kde

from

deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato main crypto optional qt1apps

The install worked fine, but now when I type

startx

it starts up, and then immediately returns to a $ prompt.

I can't find an error log anywhere.  Nothing.

I didn't even set KDE to be my default window manager.

Without an error log, I don't have a clue how to fix this.

If I run vncserver, and connect from my windoze box, KDE appears, but a crash dialog \
is evident, so clicking on any icon does nothing.

If someone could provide an idea of how to fix this, I be very grateful.

Thanks,

Ross

Dell Dimension 300
STB Velocity 128 4M