List:       kde
Subject:    Re: SERIOUS PROBLEM - Desktop Icons
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-08-31 16:43:17

Chris Aakre wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, David Grill Watson wrote:
> > Desktop icons not having a background for the text is a MAJOR problem, IMO.
> > It's also a serious step backward from 1.1.x.
> >
> > I'm sure you can see why this is bad - if you have a dark-colored
> > background (or simply one with a complicated pattern), it's nearly
> > impossible to read the labels on the icons.
> >
> > IMO this needs to be fixed before release - it's extremely user-unfriendly.
> > I quite sure I've filed at least one bug report, and it has gone
> > un-dealt-with.
> >
> > -David G. Watson
>
> I've reported bugs about it too, all unanswered. I've finally just stuck with
> the default KDE background. Kinda boring. :(

They're unanswered maybe but have been noted.  The problem is that the
desktop uses a Qt class (QIconView) that does not support changeing the
background color of the text at this point.  So something needs to be
done in KDE libs, which is a bit of work and might be binary
incompatible.  But it's being investigated, developers realize there is
a need to fix this and if there is a reasonable solution under all the
circumstances I'm quite confident it will get done.

Ciao,

Andreas