List:       kde
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: KDE-20000830 Snapshot
From:       Jens Benecke <kde () pinguin ! conetix ! de>
Date:       2000-08-31 15:34:05

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 01:08:50PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:

> Is this a major improvement over Beta4, especially regarding
> compatibility with XFree86 4.0.1?  And did you have to do anything

I think it's a lot more stable. Konqueror has crashed on me twice this day,
and I've been using it for >four hours constantly (doing web development).
When it crashes, it only takes down _one_ konq window and not all of them.

KPanel (or whatever) still takes >10sec to load up after login, and the
ARTS stuff crashed my system hard once, filling syslog up with "Sound:
recording overrun". Fixing this involved rm -rf $HOME/.kde.

> special to make it work with 4.0.1?

Nothing in particular. Strangely, KDE does not seem to recognize AltGR key
combinations (for German users), unless I explicitly configure them via
xmodmap. Other windowmanagers have no problems with the default key
configuration of XFree86.

Oh yes, I had to kick out the closed-source NVIDIA drivers because they
were interfering with my network card. (some kio_buf issues, the support
person told me. They were looking into this.) I'm back to "nv" for drivers
now. But that's a driver/kernel issue (I'm using Debian 2.2.17) not KDE
related.

Other than that, it's working fine. I especially like the panel mixer
applet. :)

--
ciao, Jens (mailaddr im Header)                 http://www.pinguin.conetix.de
"Schiebe nie etwas auf Boshaftigkeit, was           http://www.hitch-hiker.de