List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Suggestion
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2000-08-30 9:58:24

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Derek Fountain wrote:

> You seem to be making the assumption that the
> system-critical components will be shipped in a state where
> they crash.

Because they *will*. Like it or not, such crashes will happen.

> GNOME has a need for this kind of, er, "feature"; KDE doesn't.

KDE certainly does. The same reaction was displayed among gnomers when this
problem was discussed : "but we'll make it so that these apps won't crash".
This is just unrealistic, you can't test for every possible error case. I'm
certainly not putting down the quality of KDE's code, just stating a simple
fundamental truth of programming : crashes do happen. You have to make them
as painless as possible.

--
						Guillaume
						http://www.telegraph-road.org