List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Liscencing Issue - Taking Action
From:       troy <jhtd () mts ! net>
Date:       2000-06-11 5:22:23

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, mosfet wrote:
> forge wrote:
> > Another question.
> > What prevents Debian from including
> > QT, QT-KDE-ADDON, KDESUPPORT and KDELIBS ?
> > Is there now a conflict between the LGPL, QPL, and BSD licenses ?
>
> Their position is not even we kde core developers that write all our own
> original code can link to Qt with an unmodified GPL. That's right - they
> think it ambigious that we allow things like kdelibs, konqueror, kcalc,
> etc... to link to Qt ;-) We wrote the configure to link to Qt, call Qt
> in every GUI part of the application, uploaded it to KDE CVS, etc... yet
> they insist that somehow it may not be allowed by us that you link to
> Qt. Very, very silly stuff.

And do you know what, I agree with you, however I am just trying to
unofficially resolve the conflict.  Even if we do not ammend the licence, we
could however prove to debian (through the database I have started) that
every KDE developer has given their assent to link to Qt.

We don't necessarily have to ammend the licence, we may just have to prove to
debain that lniking to Qt is okay with the developers.

So far, of the 40 or so I've sent, I've received one 'no' and that had to do
with modifying the GPL, no against linking to Qt (who would in reality say no
to that).  Maybe this will be the outcome.  Either way, I will try my best.

TRoy Unrau