List:       kde
Subject:    RE: KDM won't start KDE after upgrade to XFree86-3.3.6 with Mandr
From:       "Zelck, Guy" <guy.zelck () eds ! com>
Date:       2000-03-29 11:58:38

I found the problem myself, here it is:

The culprit is the Xsession script in /etc/X11/xdm.
It contains a test that checks if "chksession" exists.
If it doesn't, it uses a list of possible window managers that is hardcoded
in the file (kde, gnome, ...).
But here's the fun part: when you've chosen one of these (from within the
kdm login page), the Xsession script tries to launch that window manager
using "chksession" again which you don't have! I simply replaced this line
with "exec $HOME/.xinitrc", made .xinitrc executable  and placed of course
/usr/bin/kde in there. This works like a charm.
There are 2 usefull error files that are usefull to trace these things:
/var/log/xinit-errors & ~/.xinit-errors.
Can anyone tell me where this chksession can be found (package), just for
completeness' sake. This app. is capable of detecting the wm that exist on
your platform apparently and is able to launch it too.
One other thing I noticed and that leaves me somewhat puzzled:
In /etc/X11/ there's an link called X pointing to your graph. card's  X
server in /usr/X11R6/bin, that I understand 100%.
But in this dir there's another link called X pointing to Xwrapper. What is
this for in god's name?
CU,

Guy.

Hello all,

Last weekend I upgraded to XFree86-3.3.6 because I'm experimenting with my
A4-Tech wheelmouse and wanted to eliminate the
freezes (+/- 5secs on my 266MHz PII) that I have from time to time
(annoying).
My base installation is the Mandrake 6.0.
I installed the following packages from Mandrake 7.0 (from the top of my
head):
Freetype
Xinitrc
XFree86-libs
XFree86-3.3
XFree86-75dpi-fonts
XFree86-VGA
XFree86-Mach64

The result is that all the X stuff works when I start KDE using 'startx' or
'xdm' but not from 'kdm' (by the way, X still freezes like before).
Kdm itself starts up alright, but when I choose KDE, the kdm welcome screen
disappears and returns after a while, there are no core dumps.
I read through a lot of messages on the Mandrake site from people that had
kdm problems when upgrading to 7.0 but the only solution they
offer is to by-pass kdm by using xdm or gdm.
I suppose the full-blown 7.0 package offers a working kdm (offcourse). So
what fundamentally changed here? As you can see, I only installed a few
packages, not too many. But ofcourse trouble lies in small corners.

Guy.