List:       kde
Subject:    Re: OT: Alsa sound driver, kde, linux in general
From:       Andreas <andreas-e () foni ! net>
Date:       2000-03-26 16:34:17

Am Mit, 01 Mär 2000 schrieb Patrick O Neil:
> Is anyone else here using alsa instead of oss?
>
> Alsa is driving me freakin' nuts.  I installed
> it on my laptop (IBM ThinkPad 1400i series)
> with Mandrake 7.0 running kde-1.1.2.  The oss
> drivers sucked.  Even though my soundcard was
> properly identified (ESS Solo1) and setup, when
> it would function, like playing a wav file, it
> wouldn't complete the play.  The wav would be
> broken up and terminate prematurely.  I installed
> alsa-0.5.4 and all seemed to be fine but...
> I run amixer (as root...it wont let me
> as user saying that the driver isn't detected)
> and unmute everything and set the
> sound levels up to max and its all fine for a little
> bit.  After some short period of time, however,
> I find that amixer has fallen back to muted and
> soundlevels all down to zero.  I set it up again,
> even running "alsactl store" to no avail.
>
> How the hell do I make alsa work all the time
> no matter whether I am root or a user.  This is
> the dumbest way to setup a driver/set of software
> I think I have ever come across - make it so
> it defaults to useless AND make it so it keeps
> reverting to useless periodically.  I even added
> all the amixer commands to /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
> which works for a little while before the whole
> thing goes back to mute and zero levels.
>
> ARGH!
>
> Can anyone help me out here?  Please respond
> directly to my email address:
>
> patrick.oneil@hci.utah.edu

Hi, Patrick,

I know I am late, but maybe I can still help. I am using the alsa sound
driver on my acer laptop without any problem. However, I run "kmix", which
works perfectly with the alsa sound drivers,  instead of the alsa mixer.
Channels are muted by default when I start the mixer, but later on they are
not remuted. I am unsure whether this is due to kmix or the fact that I am
always listening to music for a longer time, so that the sound modules do not
get unloaded again. Anaway, you might want to give it a try.

Best regards,

Andreas