List:       kde
Subject:    RE: A privacy related idea for KDE2/Konqueror
From:       "Timothy R. Butler" <kde () uninetsolutions ! com>
Date:       2000-03-25 22:58:30

> > You may read the article in yesterday's Slashdot about how DoubleClick
> > collects information in a very dirty way via banners/cookies.
> This article
> > referred the another one on CNN [see URL below] that is about
> disabling this
> > dirty action of DoubleClick with a little software for [don't flame for
> > mentioning the name of satan:))] IE5. It also writes the idea behind the
> > this software. This idea could be implemented for Konqueror and it would
> > make users happy and DClick clueless about what happened:)
> > http://cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/03/21/idcide/index.html
> >

> Take a look at Junkbuster.  It blocks 97% of the ads, and allows you to
> determine who you'll accept cookies from, and who you won't.
> Very easy to set
> up, too.   And, it's free, GPL, and available for most platforms,
> including
> Linux. http://www.junkbusters.com/ht/en/ijb.html
>
> I've been using it for several months, and it works very well.

 <rant>It seems to me that blocking ads is unethical. My site is ad based,
and there is a reason for having them (namely paying the bills). It's like
stealing a product at every ad-based web site you visit, especially the
little guys that barely brake even. Having advertising on my site allows me
to provide open source software (rather than commercial stuff), and still
pay for web connectivity. If everyone blocked ads, sites like mine, not to
mention many others, would be forced to shut down or charge the surfer
directly (that is, you'd have to pay money rather than with
ad-views).</rant>
  I understand cookie blocking, but come on, next time you get ready to
block ads, remember that the ads are the "price" of free content. Sorry I
just had to get that out, these stupid ad blockers have been bothering me
lately. :-)
  BTW, Internet Explorer can block cookies selectively right out of the box,
it would be great to see the same in KDE...

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler                              Universal Networks
Information Tech. Consultant    Christian Web Services Since 1996
ICQ #12495932 AIM: Uninettm       An Authorized IPSwitch Reseller
tbutler@uninetsolutions.com        http://www.uninetsolutions.com