List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       Jens Benecke <jens () pinguin ! conetix ! de>
Date:       2000-03-23 19:16:13

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 07:36:27PM +0200, Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Alessandro Bottoni wrote:
>  > 2) It seems that no other browser can actually compete with IE.
>  > Neither Netscape Navigator, nor Opera nor Grail, etc... seems to be
>  > able to completely replace IE on the normal user desktop.
> Grail? Hmm...
> Completely replace IE? Last time I checked, it was damn hard to get rid
> of IE from a windoze system. Luckily, my windoze is from pre-ie4 times...

98lite (www.98lite.com) can shrink a Win98SE system down to 80MB. Removing
IE5 is just one of the bigger steps (saves about 90MB). You get to keep the
Explorer interface, though - looks like they've got a whole load of
duplicate code in there.

or just ask for an account on my machine and download it.

Or, better yet, order my Linux Collection CD (see homepage, the
descriptions are in German but WTH :)

> > The other browsers seems to be either too unripe or too "Spartan" for
> > competing with IE. The only people that I know who use Netscape or
> > Opera, do it for "political" reasons, rather than for its supposed
> > technical superiority.
> I've used Opera completely free of will. It's extremely fast, it does
> look a bit odd from time to time, but otherwise it's great! It starts 60
> times faster than IE3 (I timed both of 'em).

I use Netscape (and, occasionally, konqi) because I use Linux. It's as
simple as that.

> I use netscape in windows because of my bad experiences with IE4. I
> installed IE4, slowed down the entire system and started to dial out all
> the time. Had to rip out the cable to the phonecord (it costs me 10 cents
> for every connect). Uninstalled it immediately... Battled a few days to
> get rid of everything it left behind.

You can read my comments about why I would not even use IE under windows on
my home page. There is also a link at the page bottom to the original
www.osopinion.com version of the text.

> I've used IE from time to time on computers in the school, but I prefer
> Netscape. Pages look kinda 'strange' in IE. There's dotted lines
> everywhere, the text looks strange, links look strange and the pages are
> kinda weird.... Netscape looks more robust and functional, not to mention
> that all the buttons are in the wrong places on IE's toolbar!

:) you get used to both sides. IE is one of Microsoft's ways to try to
establish a proprietary standard on the Web. Ever notice that IE displays
most pages with far too big font sizes? And IE is the only browser where
you can NOT adjust the absolute font size. The "Tasman" rendering engine is
responsible for this BROKEN behaviour.

The result, unfortunately, is that many people say "well, Netscape does
allow to set font sizes, so I'll optimize for IE". If people complain, they
are asked to use IE instead.

And that's exactly what  Microsoft wants.

PS: Guess what font sizes Frontpage uses by default.

--
public class JensBenecke extends Student {
   Name name = new Name("Jens", "Benecke");