List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       2000-03-17 9:53:38

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, sotl155360 wrote:

> > Just a comment:
> >
> > Erm... netscape for linux uses POP3. There has not been a POP client that
> > used something else (say, POP2) in 5 years :-)
> I have RH 6.1 with Netscape 4.61 which was later upgraded as of 10 days
> ago to the latest 4.7 version posted by RH.
>
> Go to Edit > Preferences > Mail & Newsgroup > Mail Server > Incoming
> Mail Server and you will find you have a choice of
> POP, Move Mail, or IMAP.
>
> In discussions with Earthlink I found that POP was not POP3.

Whoever in Earthlink told you netscape does some sort of POP that's not
POP3 is totally ignorant.

> To address my mail in Netscape I am utilizing 207.217.120.xxx.
>
> In Kmail I am using POP3 where I access my mail via mail.earthlink.net.

207.217.120.xxx is a range of IP numbers, it has nothing to do at all with
what protocol you are using to read your email.

> Two weeks ago, and some of you may recall my postings concerning this on
> this list I screwed up and accessed my Netscape
> account sotl155360 with Kmail. I wanted to access the same account from
> two different programs just as I can dial up my
> ISP from both Kppp and Usernet - backup.
>
> Netscape mail stopped working.
>
> Two weeks of hell later I discover that if you access a POP account with
> a POP3 mail program the POP account converts into
> a POP3 account. Or another way of expressing this is if you access a
> static address account with a dynamic addressing
> program your ISP converts the static account address to a dynamic
> address. This was results was posted on the KDE list
> over a week ago.

POP3 is a protocol. Dynamic and static addresses have nothing to do with
what protocol you use to read your email. Trust me, I have done network
administration for the last 5 years, and have written network programs, I
manage servers that provide POP3 service to thousands.

You are confused, probably because of whatever that Earthlink guy told
you.

> In MS Windows I have Netscape 4.7?. There I have POP3 and I am using
> dynamic addressing - mail.earthlink.net.
>
> Hope this helps in explaining some of the problems with Netscape.

Really, it doesn't. It does explain some things I had heard about
Earthlink's support crew :-P

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul