List:       kde
Subject:    Re: How about a IE clone for Linux?
From:       sotl155360 <sotl155360 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-03-17 9:43:40

"Timothy R. Butler" wrote:

> Frank,
>   I must disagree with you. (1) Microsoft, nor Apple, nor most reputable

The US federal government and I believe it is 19 state governments very
strongly disagree with your usage of the word reputable.

> proprietary companies force new updates on you. I know too many people still
> using Windows 95 (rather the 98), and it is plenty of proof they don't. I
> also know a lot of people who have kept old versions of Internet Explorer
> (3.0 mainly), rather than upgrading. So, no they don't force it on you. What
> they do do is force you to upgrade if you want to fix bugs, but it is your
> choice (1) keep the buggier system or (2) upgrade.

I have a very nice small laptop that except for its 10 inch screen and
being a little on the slow side is very functional and useful.
Unfortunately or fortunately it has MS Windows 3.1 and Windows Word 6.
Now to me this is not a problem as the machine still does more than I am
capable of doing or will every desire to do in word processing. BUT! If
I word process a file on a later machine that had a later version of Win
Word I can not take that file back to the old laptop unless I save it in
an old format.  This is a process that is easily done but being a pain
in the butt is many times overlooked.

>   That is why I like Linux, however Linux doesn't have Microsoft Word
> (nothing compares if you are use to Word), Microsoft Outlook (waiting for
> Magellan), or Microsoft Internet Explorer. MSIE in my opinion is much more
> intuitive and smarter than Netscape. Aanndd, let's face it, if we didn't
> care if computer software was smart, etc. abacuses would still be the hot
> item. :-) People don't want to think for their computers, they want their
> computers to think for them on most trivial tasks. For example, Windows
> automatically asks if I want to go online when I open an internet enabled
> application, Internet Explorer's intelli-stuff fills in forms, remembers
> URLs (and automagically suggests them, etc.) This is what people want. IMO.
>
>    -Tim

I agree with you in your assessment of what people want and that MS is
catering to their desires. Where I disagree with you is not in what MS
does in that direction but in their capacity as a agent of thought
control. That is MS along with all other shrink wrapped software
manufactures owners all software that has ever been produced. You only
rent it. This was a non issue before the internet. Now it is a major
issue. If the software manufacture owns the software they have the right
to change it at will. Just as if you went to a rental car agent and
rented a car. The rental car company would have the right to change the
car you rent for another if and when they desire without your
permission. In short the rental car company owners the car and they can
do what they damn well please with it. This is not like a book where
when you buy it you own the book and can do what you want wit it
provided you do not publish additional copies. You can write in the
margins. You can tare pages out. You can burn it if you want. It is your
book to do with as you please. Not so with shrink wrapped software. A
good question with shrink wrapped software is if the software
manufacture owns the software who owns the data entered in to the
software? You you own it or does the software manufacture? Since the
software manufacture has the right to change it at will do they have the
right to copy your data at will? Do not be complacent about this item of
ownership. Just because they do not do anything with you and your system
that does not diminish their rights to do such if they are actively
doing it to others.

This issue of ownership is what amazes me about the people who want to
use Netscape and IE as browser. Observe the word want which implies a
desire to do such. This does not imply need where you may not have a
choice. One major positives about the GPU license is it takes away the
software companies rights to do with your computer whatever the software
company damn well pleases whenever they decide to do such and gives you
a recourse to stop such action and demand retribution if they do such.

These are going to be my final words on this subject.

Accept the idea. If you are using shrink wrapped software you do not own
it. The software company does and that this company can do what it damn
well please at any time with its property and there is nothing you can
do about it.

This means that Netscape and IE can be changed, modified, up dated ,
and/or your usage denied at any point in time and three is nothing -
repeat nothing you can do about it.  This is rented software. It is not
your property.

Hope this helps further clarify the issue.
Frank