List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE 2 on Solaris 7 sparc problems
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       2000-03-03 16:56:36

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Michael Teske wrote:

> 1. qt-copy: For some reasons I had to compy all the src/*/*.h files into the
> include directory by hand or qt refuses to compile.

Did you read the README ? ;)

> 3. kdebase: GL screesaves don't compile because of missing GL/*.h files. The
> library is there, though. Maybe one should test for the include files as well
> and if any of them is missing don't compile

Hmmmh. There have been some changes (back and forth). Seems like the
final solution hasn't been found. I suggest asking bero@redhat.de ; (name
the problematic file names, please).

> 4. kdebase: kappfinder doesn't work. It breaks with an error message. This is
> because some feature missing in the solaris /bin/sh. If one starts it with
> bash, it works. Maybe the linux sh is bash in fact?

Yes.

> 5. running kde: I get lots of crashes (which is okay for a prealpha-version, of
> course) . A general thing I observed is that many crashes happen in the debug
> functions or in printf's, because a string argument is in fact a NULL pointer
> (this is never checked anyware). I cannot believe that the developers get all
> those crashes, too, so either linux does allow a printf("%s", NULL) or
> something else must be wrong that lots of those pointers are NULL at my system.

There has been some work on that recently.

> If anyone is interested in my help fixing that, please send me an email and
> I'll elaborate more details.

We are very interested in feedback such as yours. Don't forget to state
the version number (or date of the snapshot) next time.

Thanks,

Harri.