List:       kde
Subject:    RE: unsuscribe
From:       "Santiago Burbano" <santib () mtservicios ! com>
Date:       1999-12-20 12:39:30

> On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Michael O'Neill wrote:
>
> > I hope the person who made the remark about people being stupid knows at
> > least three languages and participates in technical discussions in a
> > language other than his mother tongue.
>
> Since when has the number of languages known had anything to do with
> intelligence?  Or were you referring to programming languages?

Sorry for this late posting. Been away for the week-end and seen it this
morning. I know it is __absolutely__ off-topic but 92% of world's
population, although stupid, deserve a little more respect...

FYI, the 'b' in 'subscribe' is a remnant of the past. It comes from the
greek/latin prefix 'sub', meaning 'under'. In most latin languages it has
disappeared when followed by a consonant, becoming 'su'-whatever. For
instance, in Spanish, although 'subscribir' exists, we usually use the
easier/shorter 'suscribir'. As a matter of fact, saying 'subscribir' is
considered pedantic.

I wonder how many English-speaking people would try to 'desubscribir'
(unsubscribe) from Spanish lists instead of trying to 'desuscribir'...

Santiago

PS: I don't expect any answers. You can delete this mail right now.