List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Thoughts of a KDE sceptic
From:       "Seak, Teng-Fong" <seak.teng-fong () iname ! com>
Date:       1999-11-17 10:58:12

Mosfet wrote:

> KDvi and KGhostView was written because someone wanted to write it. That
> simple. Quit bitching at people who decided to provide you with more free
> software than you would have had otherwise. You are not these people's manager
> and I doubt they really care about your opinion on what they should or should
> not code.

     Well, the same that they have their freedom to do whatever they want without
caring what we say, I've my freedom to say whatever I want.  Why did you care
then?  :p

     On one hand, the fact is that making a software is not a one-man-show.  The
first golden rule of programming: the programmer must put himself in a user's
viewpoint / position while making his programmer.  Or else, the programme will be
hard to use.  (Thinking that what I've just written is bullshit?  Check it up in
books and you'll see)  Now, to do this is very hard, so user feedback is
necessary.  However, if an author is so obstinate as to just to listen to himself
(well anyway as he likes) he shouldn't expect his programme to be used willingly
by others.

     On the other hand, I don't mind if they make their code in their own time,
but what didn't take up the whole projet and add in KDE layer / widget?  My
viewpoint is that why re-invent the wheel instead of taking an existent wheel and
improve on it?  Well, actually, re-invent whatever one wants is his own matter.
But now the reinvented wheel seems to be a disgraded version of the existent one
does matter.  Showing only this wheel to new users who are not aware of the
existence of the other one does really matter.  Well, it's OK to show one's
product.  I don't mind and I'm willing to give feedback and help debug but if and
only if it's a new program/project.  It's no fun to correct bugs which have been
corrected in another version, to improve things which have been improved, etc,
etc.  Why double effort to achieve the same goal?

     I like to use KDE is mostly because of its file manager which allows us to
open associated documents simply by clicking on it.  So, please make it simple to
let user choose their tools.  I'm still looking a way to make KLyX run xdvi and
gv.