List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Thoughts of a KDE sceptic
From:       "Seak, Teng-Fong" <seak.teng-fong () iname ! com>
Date:       1999-11-16 21:49:56

Jeffrey D Anderson wrote:

> tim@maths.tcd.ie writes:
>  >
>  > > User split - I will not be using xdvi, am in no way a TeXie (I might use LyX on
>  > > occasion, thats as close as I'll get), I want an easy tool to view another
>  > > inconvient file format for documentation etc ( dvi in this case)
>  >
>  > There is no user split.
>  > First of all, the vast majority of people wanting to view DVI files
>  > have created them using TeX/LaTeX.
>  > Secondly, of these 99% use xdvi (if under Unix).
>
> I agree. In my experience it is very unusual for dvi files to be
> distributed.  The author usually converts to postscript or PDF these
> days.

     Totally agree with you.  So what's the use of reinventing the wheel, ie make a
kdvi instead of using the xdvi which is already there?

> I use kdvi all the time and have never had any difficulties.

     Have you ever used KLyX and visualize with Kdvi, and compared the same thing with
LyX and visualize with xdvi?  Try it and see which one have a quicker viewing.

     On the other hand, even though xdvi isn't really pleasing, its partial zoom is all
I like and want.