List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Thoughts of a KDE sceptic
From:       "Seak, Teng-Fong" <seak.teng-fong () iname ! com>
Date:       1999-11-16 21:06:49

tim@maths.tcd.ie wrote:

> I realise I must be in a small minority,
> but I think the idea of re-inventing every application
> for KDE (and again for GNOME) is misconceived.
>
> Let me take xdvi/kdvi as an example.
> [deleted]
> It would seem to me a much better use
> of the undoubted talent of KDE developpers
> would be to improve the "wrapping" for non-KDE programs,
> to allow them to use KDE features.

     Totally agree.  For ex, I'd prefer the orginal X11Amp than KMpeg
player.  Even X11Amp doesn't have the look and feel of Qt/KDE, I don't
care.  KLyX is very nice esp with all its very accessible panels, however,
it's based on LyX 0.1x and I suppose it still lacks functionalities that we
could find in LyX 1.x.  Besides that, I don't know why most of the time Kdvi
isn't working (or takes ages to come out), and therefore I can only
visualize in PS. Other examples are Acroread, GV, etc, etc.  I've thus to
spend quite some time to reconfigure non-KDE applications to run and also to
prevent some KDE applications from being selected/run as default..  Very
tiresome :-(

     Except those apps like Netscape or Acroread, for the other apps,
actually K developpers could have worked with the original apps' programmers
to make an exact KDE version of those apps instead of using their efforts to
make their own and thus creating divergences.   Luckily, KLyX and LyX will
converge in the future.  Hope this will also happan to other apps.