List:       kde
Subject:    Re: InstallShield for KDE?
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-11-10 9:46:13

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Dummy KDE-maillist wrote:

> > If you can't make $1500, there is probably no point on making your program
> > closed source.
>
> Of course $1500 can be made. Sure.
>
> But I see a bad relation between the license you have to buy and the
> effort. Usage of the Qt libs is only a small part of the work:
> - You have to use g++ or egcs and the libs.
> - You take advantage of the work many programmers have done to build the
>   kernel.
> - You use X11; not only as binary but as base for own programms.
> - You can use all utilities: ls, cat, rm, networking, and thousand
>   other things.
> And all for free.

Except your application. What makes you so special?

> Qt is not bad, but it is only a small part of all. And this small part
> costs more than a MS VC++ license, including all things on a
> commercial base: C++, Win-API, COM, ODBC, MFC...
> I'm no MS fan. No need to discuss this point as usual.
> But I am not glad about the fact that a commercial product becomes an
> important part of Linux: a rather expensive package is an important
> part of the actual Linux main stream.
> I think it does not fit in Linux.

If it doesn't fit, neither does your trying to sell a little app for what?
$20?

> Of course TT has the right to sell their work instead of making a gift
> of it.

Prcisely.

> But there is no MUST to use it regularly in the Linux project IMHO.

Let's see: people who are actually giving away their work don't care. But
they should not use it to make you (who are not giving it away) happy?

Excuse me if I don't see that as obvious.

> I think that parts of Linux needed by all people should stay
> free.

Your opinion has as much weight as the code you write to support it.

> If I develop a special application for one client on a commercial base
> I can decide wether to use such a product.
> But why use it in every Linux installation?

Because we, who are actually using it, don't care.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)