List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Lockup in KDE
From:       wsuetholz () centonline ! com
Date:       1999-08-12 22:26:59

This whole thread is fairly pointless,  But I'll continue it anyways :-)

It all started with somebody claiming knowledge he doesn't have, and makeing
sweeping statements about the reliablity of the system he's working with.  No
real details that would provide a good conclusion were provided.

I haven't heard of anybody being able to crash Linux hard enough that you would
have to reload the OS in order to proceed, (Just to show my bias..) On the other
hand, all you have to do is change the interrupt of your sound card to make NT
have fits!  I ended up not being able to reboot the NT system at ALL. Can you
say Blue Screen of Death anyone??

The above being said.  There have been many good suggestions made to this USER,
given his current level of expertise, and his willingness to open his mind away
from a GUI.  He should probably be looking at Caldera.

Hardware/Physical problems should not be ruled out..  He did mention running on
a K6/300 with plenty of RAM, and Hard disk space.  But, I've seen situations
with hard drives that mostly work under other toy OS's, that will croak on
Linux.  Esp. Seagate drives.  It could also be a problem with low cost RAM.
I've had problems that magically clear up when I swap out memory.

KDE/Netscape/X-Windows does use more memory than CLI does.  It must be said
however, that the problems are usually worse in Windows,  But people have been
conditioned to reboot every time they get a GPF there.

I still find it very hard to believe that a complete reload is necessary!!

Just my $.02 worth..

Bill Suetholz