List:       kde
Subject:    Theme difficulty
From:       "Patrick O'Neil" <patrick () hci ! utah ! edu>
Date:       1999-07-30 14:22:59

I downloaded several kthemes and received the DrawingBoard theme
from swlaird (thank you much...looking at the kde themes page
a bit closer, I saw that the MacOS and Drawingboard themes had
been pulled because of jerks at Apple, me thinks).  I downloaded
the two theme installers from the kde themes page as well.  Trying
ktinstall, it only partially worked...and made the preview jpg the
wallpaper instead of the proper wallpaper, grid.jpg.  It also did
not change much else (like the icons).

I then tried the perl ktheme installer.  It worked better but still
did not change all the icons and did not change the minicons on my
panel.  I then decompressed the tar.gz file and replaced my own
kwmrc with the drawingboard.kwmrc file supplied with the theme...
altering calls to icons with the actual path to those icons (now
/usr/kde/share/themes/DrawingBoard/).

I read the readme's for both theme installers and as far as they go,
I did what they say but still get these problems.

I have Redhat 6.0, kernel-2.2.10, kde-1.1.1 compiled and installed
in /usr/kde.  I created a themes directory under /usr/kde/share/themes
and gave it and all its files r-x permissions for all users.  I created
symlinks to this directory under $HOME/.kde/share/ in each user's
home directories as well (based on a few error messages initially.  It
still doesn't work entirely.  I don't want to totally replace the
kde default icons with those of any one theme, though it seems that kde
would almost prefer this.

What is it I am missing that is preventing me from FULLY installing the
theme I desire?

patrick