List:       kde
Subject:    Re: RFC: More sounds please
From:       Derek <fountai () hursley ! ibm ! com>
Date:       1999-07-22 14:32:50

> > > a) some themes should be part of the standard release.
> >
> > No they shouldn't. Themes are a waste of space to the average worker.
> > They are simply eye (and ear) candy. If you disagree, fine, go fetch
> > them. But don't burn my bandwidth and diskspace with this sort of junk.
> >

> Yes, but you can hardly call kdegames { part of the standard 1.1.1 pack}
> anything but "candy" under the above description :-). We also have the

True, which is the reason I've never downloaded it. I don't want it. I
have no obection to a set of KDE themes being included in the standard
pack where I can choose whether I want to download them or not. Just
don't put them in KDE multimedia, or anywhere else where I *have* to
download them.

> really useful stuff, such as
>
> moonphase
> mousepedometer
> worldwatch
> screensavers
> a large number of desktop patterns

My point exactly. What a pile of junk! I *have* to have it, but I don't
want it. Let's not add to this list.

> I think a certain amount of candy is necessary to sell the product to
> the average user. We have a fair amount of eye-candy, just no ear-candy.

I'm not sure that's true. If it looks good and works well, the average
user will be happy. There will always be a market for visual tricks, and
I've no objection to that. But I would probably call myself an average
user, and I would appreciate the option of not having to deal with
themes.

> There are about 15-20 events which would require a sound, assuming about
> 20K per sound would only mean 400K uncompressed, hardly going to kill
> your modem or disk.

Your calculation assumes one sound per action. If KDE where to contain a
selection of themes (as the original post suggested) we're talking about
megabytes. Anyway, it would take me 3 to 4 minutes to download a 400K
file. Folks with slower modems (and there are a *lot*) can double or
treble that. Lots of people pay for their phone calls. Then I've got to
read the docs, understand them, and decide if I need this stuff.

Lot's of themes and sounds are superflous. By all means offer them as an
option for those who want to download them. All I ask is that *I* don't
have to waste my time and resources with them.