List:       kde
Subject:    Re: RFC: More sounds please
From:       Mark Roberts <maroberts () dial ! pipex ! com>
Date:       1999-07-21 15:43:57

> > a) some themes should be part of the standard release.
>
> No they shouldn't. Themes are a waste of space to the average worker.
> They are simply eye (and ear) candy. If you disagree, fine, go fetch
> them. But don't burn my bandwidth and diskspace with this sort of junk.

Yes, but you can hardly call kdegames { part of the standard 1.1.1 pack}
anything but "candy" under the above description :-). We also have the
really useful stuff, such as

moonphase
mousepedometer
worldwatch
screensavers
a large number of desktop patterns
occupying your bandwidth when you download standard KDE 1.1.1, why not
some .wav files ?

I think a certain amount of candy is necessary to sell the product to
the average user. We have a fair amount of eye-candy, just no ear-candy.

> > b) the default installation of KDE ought to come with sounds tied to
> > actions
>
> No it shouldn't. I can't think of anything more horrible. If you want
> sounds when you open menus, etc, you set them up. Don't waste my time
> trying to figure out how to get rid of them. (I'd probably let a single
> log on or log off sound go...)
>
> Actually, on reflection, if anyone puts together a theme which might
> help a visually impaired user to get along with KDE, that's valid. It
> would have a definite, constructive use and would therefore justify the
> resources.
=====================
That's a good idea..
=====================

> Not switched on by default though.
> --

Perhaps not "switched on" by default - I'll go along with that - but a
set of standard mapped sounds which can be turned on by activation of
the single checkbox "enable system sounds".

There are about 15-20 events which would require a sound, assuming about
20K per sound would only mean 400K uncompressed, hardly going to kill
your modem or disk.

Regards
Mark Roberts