List:       kde
Subject:    Re: RFC: More sounds please
From:       Derek <fountai () hursley ! ibm ! com>
Date:       1999-07-21 15:23:04

> Thanks for pointing this out, but I actually mean that
>
> a) some themes should be part of the standard release.

No they shouldn't. Themes are a waste of space to the average worker.
They are simply eye (and ear) candy. If you disagree, fine, go fetch
them. But don't burn my bandwidth and diskspace with this sort of junk.

> b) the default installation of KDE ought to come with sounds tied to
> actions

No it shouldn't. I can't think of anything more horrible. If you want
sounds when you open menus, etc, you set them up. Don't waste my time
trying to figure out how to get rid of them. (I'd probably let a single
log on or log off sound go...)

Actually, on reflection, if anyone puts together a theme which might
help a visually impaired user to get along with KDE, that's valid. It
would have a definite, constructive use and would therefore justify the
resources. Not switched on by default though.