List:       kde
Subject:    Re: speed?
From:       wsuetholz () centonline ! com
Date:       1999-07-13 21:44:48

There is another command for shrinking the size of executables available
for > SVR3.2 systems.  Probably not for linux systems (haven't checked),
however, the .comment section is a part of the ELF since it is a direct
decendent of COFF.

for file in /opt/kde/bin/*
do
mcs -d $file
done

The reason it's done in a loop is, that mcs can't handle working on a
file that is not an executable.

History: When AT&T released SVR3.0 the compiler started to put all the
#ident lines into a special section in the COFF binary call a .comment
section.  mcs stands for Modify Comment Section.  I've always felt that
it was a mistake to make this the default behavior.  Especially when I
was developing a system to fit onto a 74Meg drive on a 3B2.  My discovering
this trick, actually made it fit.  Your milage will vary as to how much
space will be saved.  It all depends on the number of header files that
were included in the object modules that you are linking.

Bill Suetholz