List:       kde
Subject:    Re: A couple of kde-related problems
From:       Jeffrey D Anderson <JDAnderson () lbl ! gov>
Date:       1999-07-06 17:30:20

George Hademenos writes:
 > Well I have several Linux computers and I have built many versions of many tarballs
 > on top of each other and never once had a problem getting along without a package
 > manager.....they are not needed...they only serve to restrict the free flow and
 > exchange of intellectual ideas.....for example people who see RPMs think they need
 > to get a RedHat system to use them or people who see .deb files think they need to
 > get a Debian system to use them...this is all crap ....and people should know they
 > can do anything they want without package managers....tarballs are
 > sufficient......the public should not be tricked into buying RedHat or Debian just
 > because they see .RPM or .deb files that they want to use.....they should know that
 > they can build their own operating system for free from scratch with simply tarballs
 > even if it might take them 5 years to do it.

From your last sentence I can only assume you're joking around here.

Obviously I'm not talking about the casual hobbiest.  I'm talking
about the system manager who has >50 computers.  How does he make
certain that there isn't an old version of some seldom used program
lurking around.  This kind of thing is one of the main causes of
security breaches.  "rpm -qa" on all the machines and process the
output with perl or something, and you have all the information you
need.  How would you do this without a package manager?
Run /bin/* --version ???

This has nothing to do with KDE anymore.  To try to return to
something relevant, I wonder whether the kpackage developers have any
plans to add remote or least multi-configuration support to
kpackage?  If I could pull up a screen showing what versions of bind
are installed on all the machines in a cluster, that might be useful.