List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Separate configurations...
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-06 12:11:15

Kim Covil wrote:
> This sounds like exactly what I want... :) I am glad to
> hear it is going to be in 2 (now I am even more impatient
> for it to come out *smile*)
>
> Is it going to be a structured search (ala Perl's Module
> include search path for those that know it) for example:
>
> $USERKDEDIR/share/$HOSTNAME/config
> $USERKDEDIR/share/$MACHINETYPE/config
> $USERKDEDIR/share/common/config
> $KDEDIR/share/$HOSTNAME/config
> $KDEDIR/share/$MACHINETYPE/config
> $KDEDIR/share/common/config
>
> In this case I would vote for storing changes in the closest
> matching config path (possibly creating it) by default and
> providing a mechanism for copying configuration options
> between configs...

Yes.. something like this.. The user can provide the directories
to be searched via an environment variable (e.g. KDEDIRS). The
directories are search from top to bottom and changes are currently
stored in the top directory.

The default KDEDIRS="$HOME/.kde:/usr/local/kde" does basically the
same as what you are expected from KDE 1.1.x.
(The syntax is still under discussion)

Cheers,
Waldo
--