List:       kde
Subject:    Re: A couple of kde-related problems
From:       "Patrick O'Neil" <patrick () hci ! utah ! edu>
Date:       1999-07-04 15:18:11

Jeremy Blosser wrote:

> dep [dep@westnet.com] wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Jul 1999, Robert A. Crawford wrote:
[...]
> > is far more difficult to back them up if they are splattered across
> > /usr than it is if they are in their very own directory.
>
> I agree with this, and so far no one in this thread has disagreed with it.
[...]

I do, to a point.  /usr/local is the perfect place for kde, gnome,
xephem, etc.
This does not require that they be scattered all over the place.  In any
case,
rpm takes care of that without hindering hackability.  It is no skin off
my nose
to compile something into an rpm...with rpm handling everthing from
dependencies
to tracking location.  /usr/local/kde is perfect for kde.
/usr/local/gnome is
perfect for gnome.  /opt is additional, redundant nonsense.  In any
case, why not
take this argument to the extreme to make it consistent?  EVERYTHING
should have
its own individual directory so as to ease hacking and tweaking.  You
will never
lose track of installs because they will sit in their own individual
directories.
/usr/local/kde, /usr/local/gnome, /usr/local/anotherlevel,
/usr/local/xephem (oops,
this already occurs with this one), /usr/local/netscape,
/usr/local/<etc>.

There, now nothing is ever lost.  Everything has a known location.  Easy
to mess
with or remove or update.

In any case, I believe the problem that brought this political, personal
opinion
fight up was a situation I was experienceing.  Part of this was NOT in
ANY way
based on where kde is located (double entries in kmenu or the inability
run panel menu editor from one menu selection but no problem from
another menu
location).  I DID compile the redhat-specific source for my redhat
system.  The
main problem I have is with rpm itself, not where kde is installed.
That is
irrelevant to the problem.  rpm is simply not updating the rpm database
after
installing certain packages - instead it is hanging after the package is
installed so I end up having to kill the rpm process - yet the package
is
installed and functional (fully).  THAT has jack squat to do with /opt
or
/usr or /usr/local.

patrick

patrick