List:       kde
Subject:    Re: A couple of kde-related problems
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       1999-07-04 4:51:40

dep [dep@westnet.com] wrote:
> really, where to *they* put star office and word perfect?

I don't have 6.0 but as far as I can tell *they* don't ship either of those
as standard parts of the distribution.  I believe they are on the extras
CD.  Point being they aren't necessarily parts of the distribution, which
is the operative distinction here.

If they *are* shipping them as parts of the distribution and leaving them
in /opt then I'd agree they are being hypocritical, though I'd be
interested in hearing any reasons they may have.  But as far as I know they
aren't doing that.

> |You want to have your cake and eat it to, eh?  The only way any kinds of
> |"alliances" like this could work would be if there were fundamental
> |differences between the distrubutions, the kind of thing you'd get if they
> |didn't all follow basic standards -- like, I dunno, a file system standard
> |perhaps.
>
> so, then anything labeled as being for "red hat" linux is on its face
> a lie, as if it were labeled "for computers with black-cased
> monitors"? can't have this one both ways: either red hat-labeled
> stuff is incompatible, or red hat is trying to impart the perception
> that it is incompatible.

Or the company selling the product only cares about RedHat, or doesn't want
to say x works on y without testing it first and has only tested it so far
on RedHat.  There's more possibilities than your two anti-RedHat ones.

> |Yeah, they just want our money, that's why they GPL everything they do
> |in-house.  That's why you can get their distribution online for free more
> |easily than almost any other dist.
>
> how exactly is that? it's smaller? their server is faster? their
> boxed set is certainly more expensive.

Actually their local ftp servers are pretty crappy slow.  But I've found
them very upfront about the ftp install option, and it's very
straightforward.  More so than for most other dists I've looked at, all
IMHO of course.

As for cost, there is always www.linuxmall.com or cheapbytes.  But even if
you buy direct, looking at the current prices:
RedHat 6.0 (w/support): $79.95
RedHat 6.0 (sans support): $39.95
SuSE 6.1: $49.95
Caldera 2.2: $49.95

So unless you really care about corporate support, it's hardly more
expensive.

> i don't know of any
> distribution that doesn't make its in-house stuff freely available.

That's not the point.  The point is that RH *does* make it available, which
hardly seems likely if they're so hung up on money.  They can't even use it
to get in the community's good graces and then screw us all, cause they
can't un-GPL the stuff.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/