List:       kde
Subject:    Re: A couple of kde-related problems
From:       dep <dep () westnet ! com>
Date:       1999-07-03 15:56:38

On Sat, 03 Jul 1999, Patrick O'Neil wrote:
|I recently uninstalled my kde-1.1.1 generic i386.rpms and installed
|some personally compiled kde-1.1.1 rpms for an i686.  All went well
|with the rebuilding/compiling but at the end, when I went to rpm-install
|the new i686.rpms, some of them (kdebase, kdenetwork, and one or two
|others) would start to install, that is, I would get the nice hashmarks
|on the cli when I entered "rpm -Uvh <rpm>", but then...nothing.  Rpm
|would not complete the install to the point of updating the rpm
|database.

out of curiousity -- when you compile it, why don't you just do "make
install," install the thing, and have done with it? do you intend to
distribute your rpms? if not, why are you bothering to make them?
(you surely know that you can use the "--prefix=/usr" configure
option to adopt red hat's (goofy, imho) default location for kde.

|In the Kmenu on the kpanel, if I go to the panel menu list and try to
|select
|"Edit menus" I am told that the kmenueditor is not installed.  Yes it
|is.

and it will start from the commandline in a terminal. this was a
little problem in 1.1 and 1.1.1-preX, but i thought it had gotten
fixed.

are you *sure* you have your 1.1.1 that you built yourself running?
--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.