List:       kde
Subject:    Re: A great idea! (?)
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-05-21 9:27:43

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Stefan van den Oord wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, maybe I'm not the first one to have this idea, but it is a
> good idea nevertheless, I think.
>
> Currently, the only way to bind files to executables that I know of
> is to use the file's extension. (Called "pattern" in the mime type
> properties pages.) I think it would be a very valuable extension if
> the magic of a file could be used as well. With that, I mean the file
> type as it is reported by the command 'file'. This would result in a
> much better binding scheme, because you don't have to use extensions
> anymore. Same as in MacOS, in fact.

Great idea, but:

It is already implemented since KDE 1.0.

Try a GIF e.g.: rename your file from myfile.gif to myfile and click onto
this extensionless file -- if your KDE is installed properly kview should
start and show your GIF-file.

you'll find the magic-file here:

~/.kde/share/mimelnk/magic

More ideas? ;-)