List:       kde
Subject:    A great idea! (?)
From:       Stefan van den Oord <s.m.vandenoord () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       1999-05-21 9:02:38

Hi all,

Well, maybe I'm not the first one to have this idea, but it is a
good idea nevertheless, I think.

Currently, the only way to bind files to executables that I know of
is to use the file's extension. (Called "pattern" in the mime type
properties pages.) I think it would be a very valuable extension if
the magic of a file could be used as well. With that, I mean the file
type as it is reported by the command 'file'. This would result in a
much better binding scheme, because you don't have to use extensions
anymore. Same as in MacOS, in fact.

I think it should not be too difficult to implement this. When the
user makes a new binding, he would simply choose from a list of
already known file types, or provide a sample file of which the type
can be determined by KDE using the file command. Note that I do NOT
mean that KDE should be able to find out NEW file types; if 'file'
cannot determine a file's type, the user would have to fall back to
file extensions.

An example of where I would certainly use it: I would bind text files
to my favorite editor (Elvis); my textfiles normally have no
extensions.

What do you think about this, both from a conceptual point of view
and a developers point of view?

Greetings!

Stefan van den Oord